I spent some more time on Amallyn, before moving on to basecoat most of the rest of the heroes.
I did the eyes with Pallid Wych Flesh, then Teclis blue, then Abbadon Black. The skin was Cadian Fleshtone, then Kislev Flesh, and a final highlight of 1:1 Kislev: Pallid Wych Flesh.
I basecoated the leather in Dryad Bark, then washed it with Agrax Earthshade. I did a bit more work on tidying up the Ulthuan Gray on the armour and a few other basecoats in order to see what I have to do next.
I also base-coated a few of the other heroes as well (well, mostly base-coated).
I worked on the insides of the robes. I didn’t have all the colours from the web tutorial, so I improvised.
Layered with 2:1 Moot Green:Nurgling Green, then washed it (and the leather) with Agra’s Earthsade, then layered again with 2:1 Moot:Nurgling, then highlighted with 1:1 Moot:Nurgling before a final highlight of Nurgling Green.
I did a bit of work on the armour, firstly tidying up the basecoats before a later or Ulthuan Gray. Still needs another layer of Ulthuan to clean up the colour, and some of the fiddle bits near other colours aren’t yet started.
Overall, continuing well though.
I started the Blackstone Fortress painting off with Amallyn Shadowguide, predominately because it was the only model that didn’t need green stuff to cover some large gaps.
Basecoats are now down. Needs a bit if a tidy up, but I can now see what I’m doing.
It’s been a while, but I’ve just picked up Blackstone Fortress for a family Christmas present and so I need to get back into painting again. I browsed through my shelves looking for an appropriate model and came across an old Commissar model I picked up second hand with an Imperial Guard army many years ago. What better way to get back into painting characters!
I started off with basecoats across the entire model, using Abbadon Black; Naggaroth night; Bugmans glow; Balthasar gold; Khorne red; Macragge blue; Leadbelcher; and Dryad bark.
Turns out I can still paint reasonably neatly, and mister Commissar is looking reasonably good after a first coat.
Next was the skin: Cadian fleshtone layer, shaded with Riekland flesh, highlight with Cadian flesh, then Kislev flesh.
I shaded the pants, boots and metallics with Nuln oil. Pants were then layered with The Fang; 1:1 Tge Fang to Fenrisian Gray, then final highlight with Fenrisian Grey. Sash was then layered with Xereus, Genestealer and Pink Horror.
The cape was layered with 1:1 Abbadon:Stormvermin, followed by 1:3 and then straight Stormvermin.
The edging was Xereus purple. No layers yet.
End of the night:
So, I’ve painted the Sorceror now as well. Here’s the paints used for the NMM bronze on the staff:
Base – Mourn fang brown base
Layer one – 2:1 Mournfang brown : White scar
Layer two – 1:1 Mournfang brown: White scar
Layer three – 1:2 mournfang brown:White scar
Layed one – Dryad bark
Layer two – 2:1 dryad bark : abandon black
Layer three – 1:1 dryad bark : abbadon black
Then highlighted with White scar (inc reflections), washed with Seraphim sepia all over, and then the main highlights picked out again in White scar. I’m quite happy with the results, which can be compared with the skull done in metallic paints – the icon and tip are NMM:
So, after a long break, I’m back into the conversion work as well as painting! More Dark Vengeance (DV) goodies!
Chaos Sorcerer – Parts from left to right are: Sorceror head from the Chaos Terminator Lord kit, Plasma pistol and arm from the DV Tactical Sergeant – cut down a bit, the back/cape of the DV Chaos Lord – cut down around the head and around the right arm, the DV Chaos Lord torso, minor adjustments, the DV Lord Arm pistol and hand removed, and the staff from the Chaos Terminator Lord/Sorcerer kit.
Here it is put together (phone photos I’m afraid), along with the Tzeentch Champion backpack from the Chaos Tactical Marines kit. Small amounts of green stuff added to fill the gaps and create a neck.
After a long, long break, with a few bits a pieces done here and there, I got back on the wagon again for a July Deathmatch.
Here is Veteran-Sergeant Haldith of the Deathwing of the Angels of Wrath.
I also tried using some GIMP editing tricks to make a good looking pocture like the ones out of the codexes. Not sure that I achieved the aim.
Well, after a bit of hiatus, April saw two sets of models painted, again for Miniwargaming.com’s monthly Hobby Deathmatch.
This is the last of the tactical marines for the current Dark Angels list, and the first of the main Tyranid horde painting.