Monthly Archives: March 2012
Well, it’s about time I got properly stuck into some heavy support. I’m putting together some devastators for the first time, and I wish I’d done it sooner. I think that if I’d had the option to be a Marine, I’d want to be a Devastator. That, or an Assault Marine, probably depends on the mood, but overall, I think Devastator still wins. I love big guns.
Anyway, here are the pics from the last week.
Devastators mid assembly – looks like a lot, but it is only one squad. They’re disconnected at the waist so that I can exchange the torsoes and swap the weapon options out and interchange with the tactical squads as well. The heads are likewise going to be magnetised as Blood Angels devastators wear different colour helmets to the tactical heavy weapon users.
Next on the painting table is a SM Dreadnought for this month’s Miniwargaming.com Painting Deathmatch side challenge. Just started, and I’m trying out using my new smart phone for blog updates instead of the fancy camera that my wife uses that creates pictures that need so much editing I can’t keep up (good for high quality photos though).
And, for the final part this post, my new toys arrived off eBay:
First genestealer is now finished. The last paint selections were:
1. Boltgun Metal
2. Wash with 50:50 Badab Black & Chaos Black
3. Recesses washed with watered down Scorched Brown
4. Recesses washed with watered down Bestial Brown
5. Recesses washed with watered down Vermin Brown
6. Highlighted with Chainmail
1. 1:1:1 Scorched Brown, Tin Bitz and Dwarf Bronze
2. Add Mithril Silver to previous mix and highlight
3. Highlight with pure Mithril Silver
4. Wash around bolts and recesses with 1:1 Hawk Turquiose and Dark Angels Green.
Here’s the first genestealer for my Tyranid Splinter Fleet. The model is from the Space Hulk set. I’m making up the colour scheme for my own splinter fleet, and I’m aiming at getting a combination of a space wolves style grey with an ultramarines style dark blue carapace.
I also painted some sections of a SM Scout while I had the reds out.
1. Basecoat of Fenris Grey.
2. Badab Black wash applied into the tear/line sections (Whatever they are) only
3. Layer of 1:1 Space Wolves Grey and Fenris Grey
4. Layer of 4:1 Space Wolves Grey and Fenris Grey (Right hand side of the model only at this stage)
5. Highlight of pure Space Wolves Grey. (Two right hand arms only)
1. Basecoat of Vomit Brown
2. Highlight of Golden Brown
1. Basecoat of Mordian Blue, then Regal Blue.
2. Whole carapace washed with Badab Black.
3. Layer of Regal Blue
4. Highlight of Enchanted Blue
5. Fine Edge Highlight of Ice Blue
Claws (Only the front right hand arm claws are done – testing out the colour matching)
1. Basecoat of Chaos Black
2. Layer of Liche Purple
3. Highlight of Warlock Purple
4. Highlight of 1:1 Warlock Purple and Bleached Bone
5. Highlight of pure Bleached Bone (Heavily watered down)
1. Basecoat of Dark Angels Green
2. Highlight of Snot Green
3. Highlight of 1:1 Snot Green and Scorpion Green
4. Highlight of Scorpion Green
Blood Guard Head
1. Basecoat of Mechrite Red
2. Wash with Badab Black
3. Layer of Scab Red
4. Highlight of Blood Red
5. Highlight of Fiery Orange