Category Archives: Splinter Fleet Scylla (Tyranids)
Well, I managed to fight my way to be the miniwargaming death match headliner for Sep 2012 and what better way to contest it than over a special release model. In this case Nappen and I are painting the Space Hulk Broodlord and I can’t put any WIP posts up, so these will have publication delays built in. I did however want to capture how I’ve painted the Broodlord.
At thus stage, the skulls on the base are finished. They were baseboard khemri brown, dry brushed bleached bone, washed with ogryn flesh, dry brushed bone again, layereyed with bone on the temples and then dry rushed white.
The body is base coated fenris grey. Black wash has been applied to certain areas.
The blood Angela helmets are Mechrite red washed with black, the base is straight bolt gun.
The carapace is Mordian blue. The middle sections of the carapace have been painted with a mix of 2 parts regal blue to one part black. I am aiming at having the carapace look blacker to give the appearance that the Broodlord is older than the rest of the swarm.
And the finished product:
Well I got a bit excited with the Blood Guard after getting them mustered the other day, prompted by my wife. With the fluff written for the first five squads, one of my biggest procrastination excuses was gone. With my wife on holiday for the last five days and me on leave (looking after the kids) it turned into a really productive session. Here’s the latest pics of the Guard and one of the current strength of hive fleet Scylla.
What have I accomplished in the last five days:
1st Squad – Undercoated (Mechrite Red), first wash.
2nd Squad – Assembled, primed (except four models waiting on a Bitz order) and undercoated.
3rd Squad – Stripped, primed and undercoated.
4th Squad – Primed and undercoated.
7th Squad – Undercoated.
8th Squad – Assembled, magnetised, primed and undercoated.
9th Squad – Undercoated.
Scouts – Three models undercoated.
Sternguard – Undercoated.
Command Squad – Assembly completed, undercoated.
1st Terminator Squad – Undercoated
2nd Terminator Squad – Primed and undercoated.
3rd Terminator Squad – Primed and undercoated
Landspeeder – Armour plates @80%.
Total number of models progressed along their painting lifecycle – 95 and a Landspeeder.
First genestealer is now finished. The last paint selections were:
1. Boltgun Metal
2. Wash with 50:50 Badab Black & Chaos Black
3. Recesses washed with watered down Scorched Brown
4. Recesses washed with watered down Bestial Brown
5. Recesses washed with watered down Vermin Brown
6. Highlighted with Chainmail
1. 1:1:1 Scorched Brown, Tin Bitz and Dwarf Bronze
2. Add Mithril Silver to previous mix and highlight
3. Highlight with pure Mithril Silver
4. Wash around bolts and recesses with 1:1 Hawk Turquiose and Dark Angels Green.
Here’s the first genestealer for my Tyranid Splinter Fleet. The model is from the Space Hulk set. I’m making up the colour scheme for my own splinter fleet, and I’m aiming at getting a combination of a space wolves style grey with an ultramarines style dark blue carapace.
I also painted some sections of a SM Scout while I had the reds out.
1. Basecoat of Fenris Grey.
2. Badab Black wash applied into the tear/line sections (Whatever they are) only
3. Layer of 1:1 Space Wolves Grey and Fenris Grey
4. Layer of 4:1 Space Wolves Grey and Fenris Grey (Right hand side of the model only at this stage)
5. Highlight of pure Space Wolves Grey. (Two right hand arms only)
1. Basecoat of Vomit Brown
2. Highlight of Golden Brown
1. Basecoat of Mordian Blue, then Regal Blue.
2. Whole carapace washed with Badab Black.
3. Layer of Regal Blue
4. Highlight of Enchanted Blue
5. Fine Edge Highlight of Ice Blue
Claws (Only the front right hand arm claws are done – testing out the colour matching)
1. Basecoat of Chaos Black
2. Layer of Liche Purple
3. Highlight of Warlock Purple
4. Highlight of 1:1 Warlock Purple and Bleached Bone
5. Highlight of pure Bleached Bone (Heavily watered down)
1. Basecoat of Dark Angels Green
2. Highlight of Snot Green
3. Highlight of 1:1 Snot Green and Scorpion Green
4. Highlight of Scorpion Green
Blood Guard Head
1. Basecoat of Mechrite Red
2. Wash with Badab Black
3. Layer of Scab Red
4. Highlight of Blood Red
5. Highlight of Fiery Orange