Monthly Archives: December 2011

End of 2011

Well, the end of the year, and it’s been my most productive Warhammer year so far.  I’ve learnt a lot, tackled some of my fears of painting with NMM and Freehanding, as well as faces and improved blending.  Anyway, I thought it was about time for a shot of the work from the last year so that I could get my head around what I had actually accomplished.  This doesn’t include building/magnetising or preparing models to paint.

Unfortunately, the Tau Comcen was attacked by a clumsy giant several weeks ago and is looking rather worse for wear.

Commander Casselius (Dante Conversion) Part 2

Some more work on Cassellius, and I now have the wings fitted.  I chose to use the unfurled Bretonnian Pegasus wings.  Firstly, they’re available as a bitz pack without me ending up with an entire model with no wings, and secondly, I really like the gliding down look.

Commander Casselius (Dante Conversion)

Well, my Chapter needs a leader, and while I could leave it to the two Captains that I’ve painted to do this, my collection has grown large enough to warrant a full Commander in charge. That and the fact that I love the rules that Dante brings (and Casselius will count as Dante as there is no other option to get a Commander in the Blood Angels Codex other than Seth, and I just don’t like him after reading the Blood Angels series of books). Anyway.

Dante came to me second hand, and without his Axe. I’m not really an axe fan anyway, so this gave me the opportunity to replace it with a much more elegant master-crafted weapon that I kept for this purpose from the Sanguinary Guard kit.

Next problem with the Dante model – he is outclassed by Astorath and the Sanguinor. They’re hovering look, the extra height and the wings – I can see why there are so many Dnate’s being kitbashed out of plastic components at the moment. Anyway, I still had the original, so that’s the base for my Chapter master. Plus, I do think I can get the model looking better. First step though is to mimic the hovering look from the Sanguinor and Astorath. I made a armature from paperclips and sprue, because I want the final model to be able to detach from the base for easy transport. You can see in the sprue that I ‘pinned’ the paperclips in for strength, and then drilled out a hole for the magnet which will hold the two pieces together. In the end, I think the spure ended up more metal than plastic by volume…

A bit of weight (metal cuttings) and then a strengthening piece accross the base, and then covered with modelling sand and glue to fill in the shape. The base is currently an Australian 10c piece (for weight) which is 1-2mm in radius smaller than the GW bases. The rock is out of the garden. Here you can see the finished base and the matching magnet in Casellius/Dante’s back.

Finally, after the glue dries, the final fit! He ended up just the height that I wanted him, which matches the Sanguinor and Astorath, and stands him a head above the Sanguinary Guard (shown in the last picture). I knocked the sword off in the middle of the photos, and glued it back on again.

Next steps:

Sculpt some scrolls onto the base.

Put wings onto the backpack.

Sculpt shields behind the blood angels symbols.

Get rid of the section under his halo and above his head (maybe – still trying to decide on that part).

Marine Characters

A bit or a progress update on some SM characters.

I’ve now finished the Librarian (Brother Nutricius) with the exception of the base.

This guy is going to be the Sanguinary High Priest Satelles (counts as Corbulo).  He’s been built from Death Company parts with the blood drop and grail icons, the SM commander cape and is carrying the grail objective piece from Space Hulk, which is magnetised to be held in his hand so that it can still be used in Space Hulk games.  I had to turn around the hand in order to hold the grail upright.  He’s received his first basecoat and shading washes for those armour sections that are goign to end up white.

Vanguard Veterans Part 3

Well, here is the next stage. I almost got these finished in the three weeks I had for the Deathmatch entry, but ended up realising that I was going sloppy on the wings in an attempt to meet the timeline, so I gave up on the hope of finishing and submitted at 90%. Still, that’s about the best three weeks I’ve ever had – recently I’ve only been doing one model in three weeks.



Vanguard Veterans Part 2

Here’s the second installment of the vanguard Veterans.  The arms and weapons have been finished.  Work has started on the shoulder pads (but definately not finished).  Back packs are now basecoated and being done up this week.  looks like I might even finish on time for the deathmatch entry on the 26th.  Still playing with the camera a lighting to get decent pictures.

Vanguard Veterans Part One

Well, here’s the start of my Vanguard Veterans, which have come higher up ther priority order as they are now the subject of a Deathmatch side challenge for December on miniwargaming.com.

As with the other recent work, these guys are magnetised.  In this case though, every arm is interchangeable, the jump packs/back packs are interchangeable, and the shoulder pads are interchangeable.

The bodies are done, with the arms to be completed next.  Backpacks haven’t yet been assembled.  Photos aren’t particularly good quality – I just couldn’t get the light right tonight.